F.18 IEC 62541
OPC Unified Architecture (OPC UA) is a machine to machine communication protocol for industrial automation developed by the OPC Foundation.
- Focus on communicating with industrial equipment and systems for data collection and control
- Open – freely available and implementable under GPL 2.0 license
- Cross-platform – not tied to one operating system or programming language
- Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- Inherent complexity – the specification consists of 1250 pages in 14 documents
- Offers security functionality for authentication, authorization, integrity and confidentiality
- Integral information model, which is the foundation of the infrastructure necessary for information integration where vendors and organizations can model their complex data into an OPC UA namespace to take advantage of the rich service-oriented architecture of OPC UA. There are over 35 collaborations with the OPC Foundation currently. Key industries include pharmaceutical, oil and gas, building automation, industrial robotics, security, manufacturing and process control.
ISO Standard document not available.
Continue to Appendix G: Prior ontological commitment literature