2021 Smart Infrastructure Index survey
The DT Hub version of the Smart Infrastructure Index includes core questions that assess digital maturity across the asset lifecycle and an extension to focus specifically on digital twins in the context of the National Digital Twin programme (NDTp).
The objectives of inviting community members to complete the extended Index were to:
- Better understand the maturity of our members in relation to both digital transformation and digital twins
- Explore relationships between digital transformation and digital twins
- Compare and contrast DT Hub members with broader Index metrics
- Draw comparisons between the DT Hub’s asset owner / operator members and the wider community
- Understand progress among the asset owner / operator members in the last year
- Inform future areas of focus for the DT Hub and the NDTp.
There were 57 responses to the Index in 2021 (up from 21 in 2020). Whereas in 2020 these responses came exclusively from asset owners / operators, in 2021 the survey was sent to the wider DT Hub community. While this increased the reach of the survey, it also influenced the scoring. The overall digital maturity score for the DT Hub community was 37.3 in 2020 and it decreased to 33.6 in 2021. When looking at scores for asset owners / operators only, this decrease in digital maturity score was still evident, however, it was far less significant, with average score of 37.1 in 2021.
The overarching observation of this year’s Smart Infrastructure Index results is that on average, the digital maturity score of the DT Hub community has decreased. However, the overall digital maturity of the DT Hub community’s member organisations has not necessarily dropped. There are two key factors which lead to this conclusion: first, that the demographic of respondents has changed, with the survey being sent to vendors and academia as well as asset owners / operators; and second, that the DT Hub community last year was much smaller than it is now, with far fewer organisations, who likely fall into the category of ‘early adopters’ of digital twins and digital more generally.
2021 SII Survey presentation
Watch Tom Hughes present the results of the 2021 DT Hub Smart Infrastructure Index survey.